Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Late Valentine's Day Post

Valentine's Day is a day generally for a lot of whining. There are a lot of single people that tag it "Single's Awareness Day" and dread its coming all year. They are upset and bitter that no one will be getting them flowers or chocolates or whatever. There are those males that hate that they are actually expected to do something for their significant other, or get them something. They are mad that they have to put the effort into it. There are Josh Olsons who despise the day and refuse to acknowledge it because it completely overshadows their February 13th birthdays. Then there's people like me.

Not that I love Valentine's, but I like it quite a bit. I do love that it is a day of sweet activities like this though:

"Phoenix – February 11, 2009 – Arizona Big Smooch on Saturday, February 14th from 10am-2pm. Its Valentine’s Day so there will be lots of kissing… why not set a record? We’ll be attempting to set the Guinness World Record for the most kisses received in one minute. Everybody that participates will be registered to win a romantic getaway to the Wynn Las Vegas. We’ll also attempt to set the Arizona record for the most people kissing simultaneously. It all happens on Valentine’s Day at Tempe Marketplace. The Guinness World Record attempt will be at 1:30p and the “Big Smooch” is set for 2pm."

I didn't go. But what a great idea.

I love that it is a day that people show each other how much they care. I love the thought of the dinners and dates that are enjoyed. I love that there are so many kisses given and the millions of babies conceived (like Adam and Levi and Tyler). I love the gifts that are given. I love the pictures that are taken. And I love that it is a day that people try to show each other how much they love them. There should probably be more days like that on the calendar.

1 comment:

RC said...

You think this way and I once made the critical mistake of telling my o&o that it was a "stupid holiday". Not only did this comment destroy ANY chance of love and romance for the next 30 days or so BUT it also cost me dearly for the next several years in obtaining the proper "stupid holiday gift(s)". I still don't like it but I have learned to comply.