Monday, February 9, 2009

Let's Not Get "Physical, Physical"

The title is referring to the song, in case anyone missed that.

Well here's the deal. I kind of owe Ariana this.
Tyler and Ariana have been officially dating for three weeks (including in the one day off). I have wrote before about this subject, and as I said, I am very happy about it.

The unique thing about this relationship is that it started mid November, and it started with kissing. And they both really liked it. Ariana was talking to me yesterday though and I find out that now there is no making out. Really? It is something that Tyler wanted (I know, Mormon guys are weird), and Ariana reluctantly agreed to at first. Now they are both very happy about it.

So I've been doing some thinking about this, and I would like to say good job to the both of you. I do not know if I could do it, but I think that it is a very good idea. Or at least to kiss less. I sometimes have the concern that my relationships revolve around it. When I stop kissing my girlfriends for a time, the relationship usually suffers. President Monson, then a counselor in the first presidency, wrote an article about marriage in the Ensign around October of 2004. He says that if you feel like your relationship is based to much on physical attraction, then you should try to not so much as hug or touch that person for a week and see if you still like to be around them. I would dare say that some of my relationships would have been very different, or not have existed at all.

I do not suppose I will ever be in a "no make out" relationship, though I might try a "no make out week." I have been getting better at placing value on kisses as I have gotten older. Not that I wouldn't occasionally kiss under the mistletoe still, but I am working on getting to know a person which has been a very nice change. Tyler and Ariana, I appreciate your example of self restraint. I think you both are a little crazy still.

5 comments:

indeazgirl said...

I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Anonymous said...

oh... I'm not really sure what to say about this. Yes, in case anyone is wondering, it's true. That doesn't mean we don't kiss though.

And really, it is one of the best things ever. Because there isn't even the slightest worry that it it too much physical.

And I really love you Brad for letting you have a very public discourse on your feelings on my choices in my relationship. :]

RC said...

So who is you are "trying to get to know better"? Just curious that you haven't even mentioned her to your sister or dad.....

RC said...

Sorry, should have said , who is IT.....

Anonymous said...

just so you, thanks to this post, people have come up to me and said, "so no kissing, huh?"

*sigh* thanks a lot.